A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Friday, April 19, 2013

Widgets

A to Z 2013 : QUOTES

(An A to Z 2013 Challenge Entry)

“In quoting others, we cite ourselves”
- Julio Cortázar

I thought I would take a relaxing moment and share some quotes. I’ve been up all night listening to developments in Boston, and it is depressing, exhausting but yet addicting. I need to tune out for a bit (I say as I have multiple live feeds and threads open on the incident). Some friends following along are in the same boat, but at least — unlike them — I got some sleep. It’s worth noting, though, I spent 4+ hours shoveling snow throughout the night.

I am a huge movie buff, so it is very common to find me quoting some of my favorite movie lines. I do the same from books and songs, but not as frequent. I’d like to think I am decent at creating my own phrases/words that eventually get used by those exposed to them; integrated into their daily dialog, sneaking in unexpectedly.

No real format here, just a few quotes I like. Short and sweet...

“The purpose of life is the expansion of happiness.”  - Deepak Chopra

“Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation.” - Rabindranath Tagore

“All human beings are also dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together.” - Jack Kerouac
“There are books full of great writing that don’t have very good stories. Read sometimes for the story… don’t be like the book-snobs who won’t do that. Read sometimes for the words—the language. Don’t be like the play-it-safers who won’t do that. But when you find a book that has both a good story and good words, treasure that book.” - Stephen King

“Writing isn't about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it's about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It's about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay? Getting happy.”  - Stephen King

“I wonder if I’ll be held responsible for this.” - Lucas (Empire Records)

“What’s with today, today?” - Lucas (Empire Records)

“This place is dead anyways.” - Charles (Swingers)

And one I thought was pertinent (always) to recent events:

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

There are hundreds more, but that would take ages to both put down and read. The movie quotes may seem “off” but they are some I’ve used countless times over the years.

Do you have a favorite quote and/or movie line? If so, what?

15 comments:

  1. Nice quotes! Especially love the one by Martin Luther King, Jr. It's been among my top favorites from the first time I heard it in elementary school. I have so many favorite quotes that it's impossible to pick one. This one by Buddha is among my favorites though, "If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great one too! Yeah, there are so many that I was overwhelmed almost. So I just picked a handful. Could spend forever sifting through and putting together a lengthy post of quotes.

      Delete
  2. "Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jak, sorry I haven't been by. I like your quotes and one of my favs is from Dune: Fear is the mind killer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had some quotes, my brain doesn't allow me to remember anything...where am i?

    I liked the stephen king quote tho, but it is way too long so it will be vanished form my brain in 5 sec...huh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quotes, all of them. I really should read more Stephen King. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun while on the run, Ermie!

      Delete
  6. I love the Stephen King quotes. I agree with him about the book snob thing. I can't stand book snobs. And I've read books that I adored just because of how they wrote it or phrased things...but oh such joy when you find both!

    And that Martin Luther King jr. quote is phenomenal. I wish more people thought that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah book and writing snobs exist unfortunately. Much of the same caliber of art snobs >.<

      Agreed with The MLK Jr quote!

      Delete
  7. I'm a fan of Anais Nin and Paulo Coehlo quotes, they seem to speak to me the most. I even quote Anais Nin on the front page of my site :)

    I love the Stephen King quote as well.

    Sorry, falling a bit behind lately. Trying to catch up on my blog and reading too!

    -Kristen
    www.kristenduvall.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob, trying to catch up myself, even still! Ha good times :) Thanks for stopping by! Not familiar with those quote, may have to check them out soon.

      Delete
  8. Thanks everyone for commenting and sharing some of your favorite quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rory Cochrane is one of the most underrated actors of all time. The fact that he could downshift into Lucas so quickly after playing Slater (and then did you ever see him in CSI Miami?) just showed his range to me. That movie is one that few have heard of but I run around quoting it all the time. No one ever knows that movie though, I'm impressed! Great choice.

    I don't think I could possibly list my favorite movie quotes, there are so many and they come up at the most random times in conversation. But as far as songs go...

    "The journey is the destination." - Melissa Ferrick

    "It's when you cry just a little, but you laugh in the middle, that you've made it." - Jason Mraz

    "All my life I've been searching for something, something never comes never leads to nothing, nothing satisfies but I'm getting close, closer to the prize at the end of the rope." - Foo Fighters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever seen Love and a .45? If not, I recommend checking it out. It was actually the first movie I saw with Cochrane in it. It is a lower budget indie movie. I like it a lot and should check it out again. I will message/post if you don't happen across this. Curious of what you may think of it.

      I've only seen the first season of CSI:M and some of the later seasons when he was already off the show. I plan to watch through the entire series at some point being, unlike most, I have no issue with Horatio Caine haha

      While I am not familiar with Mraz, I love the Foo Fighters! Thanks for sharing your quotes.

      I also agree with movie quotes... there are too many and they come up at random times.

      Delete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats