A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Widgets

A to Z 2013 : XBOX

(An A to Z 2013 Challenge Entry)

I’m sure the title alone has made some of my readers scurry away (we may see you at “Y”). Gaming is not everyone’s cup of tea. It is, however, mine. I not only love gaming of all sorts (board/card/video), but I’m pretty good at them too; some more than others (mainly shooters).

I thought I would share some of my favorite games for my preferred system of choice: Xbox (technically Xbox 360 now). A long time Nintendo fanboy, and supporter of Sony’s Playstation 1 & 2, I was eventually assimilated by the “corrupt” empire known as Microsoft.

The one game that solidified the shift was Halo, a first person shooter launched on the Xbox system in 2001. After the heydays of 007: Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, Halo was the natural progression for me.

I would host Game Nights where everyone would bring their consoles, games, and TVs; gaming the night away, drinking and partying (this is what eventually became a tradition amongst my brothers and I). I definitely miss having those parties, but you have to “grow up” at some point, right?

Anyway, trying to keep this post short. It’s about Xbox for crying out loud!

If anyone happens to own an Xbox 360 and would like to play sometime feel free to share your gamertag below (or privately if concerned... is that even possible via a blog?). If following along for some time, I’m sure it won’t be hard to figure out what my gamertag is.

The List
Source: xbox.com

XBOX 360:
Halo (1-4, ODST, and own — but never played — Halo Wars)
Call of Duty (Modern Warfare and Black Ops varieties)
Borderlands 1 & 2
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Red Dead Redemption
Lost Planet 1 & 2
Lego series (Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc)

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade):
Castle Crashers
Puzzle Quest
Braid
Peggle
Full House Poker
Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers series
Plants Vs. Zombies (I’ve only played this a few times, but watched my ex play it a million thousand times)

Unopened games I own that I assume I will like a lot:
Gears of War series
Assassin’s Creed series
Mass Effect series
Fable series
Oblivion & Skyrim

“You’ve got a problem, man.”

I have a slight addiction with buying Xbox 360 games when on sale or clearance and never opening/playing them. At this time, I have over 60 unopened games. My brothers and friends think I’m crazy, and they are partially correct.

I’ve wanted to write a gaming review blog, and thought a good idea may be to review games as I open and play them. My hesitation being that, by this time, they have been released for years, played to death, and are now old news. It would possibly make for good practice, though, and then I can advance to new releases.

Podcasting or Youtube video reviews would be a lot of fun as well.

Either way, those are a few of my favorite games I’ve played and/or currently playing. I’m always open to gaming with new friends, so if you just so happen to dabble yourself, feel free to contact me :)

Do you play video games? If so, do you have a favorite system and/or game(s)? Any gaming blogs/podcasts/videos to recommend?

7 comments:

  1. YESSSSS.

    SO MANY unopened games.

    Zelda: Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, Mushroom Men, Baten Kaitos, Chibi Robo, Fire Emblem, FF Crystal Chronicles, Gladius, Epic Mickey, Skies of Arcadia...

    I guess I keep thinking that one day I'll suffer some sort of peculiar injury that will let me hold a controller but not type at a keyboard, and then I'll have an excuse to plop down and play video games again. Right now, it's hard not to enjoy screen time that isn't "productive" in some way, because I'm consumed by the fear of dying unpublished.

    Glad you got Braid, though! That game blew my mind. It looks so much like a SNES-era sidescroller, but it plays so much like a freaking James Joyce novel, and you feel like Stephen F'ing Hawking when you figure something out. Clearly, you are a man of class, taste, and sophistication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't been much of a gamer since back in the old school days. Have played a few games on X-Box and was pleasantly surprised that Mortal Kombat was still very similar to the way that it used to be. It's one of my all time favorite games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. left v. dead man I love that game, stupid zombie witches scare me tho...
    ALso call of duty is very good, I like shooting nazi zombies...line them all up and then shoot.

    OK I don't own any of these games because I would never get anything done, but my friend has them and I go over to his place to play them...pew pew pew

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of us have things we buy that we know we shouldn't. But what the heck? That's part of the fun of life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, can you still get DOOM? I loved that game many years ago on PC - think it might have been before Windows came out as I seem to remember launching it from the DOS prompt. I know Jak, you are far too young to remember that!! Wish I was! Have you ever played DOOM? I'm pretty sure it's out on some platforms. You could even create your own levels to play. DOOM on Xbox would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GAH! I missed all the gaming comments! Boo to that >.<

    @TEX, it is meant in the best possible fashion, but I hope you have said injury inflicted upon you so that you may catch up and play all your games in comfort from your couch haha

    Braid is a great game! I feel not many know about it, but they should look into it. Definitely worth the money. Much like I've heard Minecraft is... still haven't made that jump yet.

    @Tracey, Mortal Kombat was one of my favorites too! As well as the Street Fighter franchise. Soul Calibur, though, may challenge them for its customization options alone.

    @Poke, ACK you play L4D and CoD? That is awesome! L4D freaks me out... all running zombies do. Give me slow shambling zombies any day.

    Pew pew pew!

    @Lexa, It is true... I sometimes go overboard, though!

    @Andrew, Yes! You can on Xbox Live Arcade. I played the original some ages ago, and the second. I believe the this is the one I tried playing in the dark and it made the experience even creepier!

    I never knew about being able to build your own maps, though! That is a huge draw factor to me with games like Halo/Time Splitters/etc. Being able to build your own maps to play on with friends is amazing!

    @Sunshyne, yes... slight :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats