A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Widgets

BEDiM 2013 : DAY 29

(A Blog Every Day in May 2013 Challenge Entry)

I am very proud of my picture story yesterday. This host can’t bring me down yet! Now we arrive at one of the prompts I’ve been most excited for. I wasn’t aware it was today, though. For some reason I thought it was the final post.

Today’s prompt:

Day 29, Wednesday: Five songs or pieces of music that speak to you or bring back memories. Use Grooveshark or YouTube to include them in the post

I’m not sure what Grooveshark is, so I plan on sticking to the ever prominent Youtube. Plus, it’s built into Blogger... so yeah...

This isn’t going to be easy. Trying to single out five songs that speak to me, is like placing down all my favorite cookies in front of me and telling me I can only pick and eat five of them. We know from my previous post how that would end. I would eat ALL the things. Much like I want to share the abundance of songs that connect with me.

I’ve decided, since I wasn’t able to do so during the A to Z, I will share a handful of my favorite songs and artists throughout the next few weeks. Most music I listen to recently has become associated with my writing, so I thought I could share them and explain the scenarios and/or representation of each.

For this post I will attempt a nostalgic theme.

Stories Through Music

The Offspring - Come Out and Play
The Offspring I feel is one of those bands that my entire group of friends loved when growing up. When I hear them I always remember back to the days when we would party and just act stupid on a weekend (or daily) basis. To be honest, the entire SMASH album was played over and over and over again. When it came down to picking one song, it was between Bad Habit & Come Out and Play. I felt Come Out and Play best represented our teenage angst and shenanigans.

Local H - Fritz’s Corner
Local H is another of my all-time favorite bands. For a 2 member band they kick ass. In fact, they are still around around and kicking some ass last I checked. I loved seeing these guys live. This was one of my favorite songs they would play, along with High-Fiving MF. Both times seeing them they were performing at outdoor festival concerts, so it would be nice to see them at a smaller, enclosed venue. I was obsessed with this song (still am), and I’d like to believe when my friends hear it they still think of me (just as they did back in the day).

Our Lady Peace - Superman’s Dead
Another song, and band, I was (am) obsessed with. I’ll admit that over the years I’ve fallen out of touch with Our Lady Peace, but there was a time I would be jamming out to all their newest CD releases; singing, dancing, acting out music videos. The lead singer’s voice is so unique I can’t help but love it.

After going mainstream I kind of drifted from their music some. Not that it was less meaningful, but maybe it just didn’t quite resonate the same with me. It may sound bad, but this was around a time when the music became seemingly more “God” or religion influenced (This is akin to losing interest in Billy Corgan with Zwan). I’ll have to maybe give it another go someday.


Random Jak Fact 622: I may have recorded a Youtube video of me singing this song a good four to five years ago or so. This was done after not having heard the song in some time, and attempting to sing from memory. It was met with... mixed critique... which is to be expected as I’m not a singer. I don’t think it's up (publicly) anymore, sorry folks. At least... I really hope it isn’t.

3 Colours Red - Beautiful Day
This is a song from an album I randomly bought while living in AZ. It always evoked emotions in me. It’s a good thing, because it was about the only good song on the album. Anyhow, this song could (and potentially still could) turn me into a blubbering, crying baby for almost no apparent reason. Back in AZ I'd just play it over and over. Later in life I directly associated it with a break up I had with someone I had dated for only 3-5 weeks. I can’t even remember the length of time.

This relationship was an intense one, but it sputtered just as fast as it flared. It was important, however. While the feelings at the time could be classified as infatuation, I’m still uncertain. It allowed a brief pulse of what I’d later define as being Love. Remember, I never much believed in Love and all that mushy bullshit. This relationship was the turning point for me being more open to the idea — the possibility — that it actually may exist on some level more than just the fanciful romanticism of fictionalized realities.

So, this song represents that awakening in my soul. From there... it was all down-fucken-hill.

Trouble I say. Trouble.

Align - At the Basement Door
Align is a band that I’d imagine no one — short of possibly fellow locals — has ever heard of. They were my favorite local band, long since defunct, and I saw a handful of their shows while they were active. I cheered when the lead singer used the phone-mic, bought their CDs, still own and wear one of their shirts (it’s one of my favs), and I just happened to know people who knew them.

One of my best friend’s sister lived with the lead singer’s — then — girlfriend (or fiancée). So not only would I get to listen to their music, but also party with them now and again. I think during the party period the lead singer was in a band called Marble. I, and others, thought they sounded a bit like Green Day. Yeah, no... he passionately hated that comparison.

Align was a band I thought had a lot of potential and this song felt like one that would get them noticed. Unfortunately, they disbanded years ago; each finding a home in new bands. I get upset whenever I’ve learned they had a reunion show I missed. That makes me a Sad Panda indeed.

Anyhow, this song reminds me of the days after graduating where I’d party (advancing to college parties without having to attend!) and go to various music shows with friends. A lot of good times were had, even if one night a member of Marble wanted to punch me in the face! Who doesn't?!

Are you familiar with or do you like any of the songs listed above? What songs/music trigger memories or speaks to you? Do you go to (or have you ever gone to) live shows? Any favorites?

10 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Offspring is definitely one of those bands my brother introduced me to...this song takes me back.

    I haven't heard the rest, but I really dig 4 and 5. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love The Offspring. Even some of the newer stuff is good. I kind of shut them down once the lead singer was threatening to have a record be their last unless X amount of sales were made. That was just lame.

      No prob! Always up for sharing music :)

      Delete
  2. I would have really enjoyed this prompt as well. Of course, I include music in my posts quite often anyway. I just love my music. :)

    I find your blip about Our Lady Peace to be thought provoking. I think my favorite songs by them (besides Superman's Dead) are Starseed and Somewhere Out There. I love me some Superman's Dead.

    "An ordinary boy, an ordinary name. But, ordinary is just not good enough today."

    I think what I find most interesting is that the thing that drives you away from an artist (exceeding spiritual references) is what draws me to them. Especially the likes of Billy Corgan. I absolutely love early SP. (Siamese Dream and prior). It is why I appreciate Eddie Vedder's more recent stuff. He's so in tune with the universe and not so full of that angst. It's why I love Florence and the Machine.

    Of course, this does not change my opinion of you, I just find it very interesting how different people can like the same song for completely different reasons. Likewise, people can love or hate music based on the same principle (on either side of the coin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd figure you would, as well as Jenn. You both kind of place a lot of emphasis on music already in posts.

      I love Starseed and most of the albums up through Spiritual Machines. It isn't so much their content necessarily. I am all about spirituality, but sometimes their shift in music which reflects this, just doesn't click with me.

      Our Lady Peace, for example, Healthy in Paranoid Times I believe is when there was a bit of a shift. Sure there are some good songs, but a far departure where I was fully enthralled by their entire production. For a while, with Gravity, I blamed the mainstream success they found, but that isn't necessarily fair. I want any and all musicians to become popular, to make their "living" doing what they love as much as any other. I actually like Gravity a lot.

      So it was just something more about the direction or sound afterwards. I haven't listened to their new album... which I plan on doing now. I'd love to hear where they are at after all these years.

      With Billy Corgan and Zwan (I love Smashing Pumpkins and their new album even), though? Yeah, no. I may listen a time or two again, but I know I had no interest during the time frame of their release. I literally was going to hand make a shirt saying "The day Billy Corgan found God is the day I started saving money on CDs" Though... I really should have thanked Napster (now Maybe Spotify) more... Regardless, when able, I like to suppose the artists I really enjoy.

      There are other factors involved with me no longer buying CDs, however.

      I am very glad to hear your opinion hasn't changed! That would have been a shame.

      Not familiar with Vedder's newer stuff, but I believe we quipped about it during your A to Z theme. I love Florence and the Machine. In fact, I love many specifically Christian bands like P.O.D. I believe is one and Thousand Foot Crutch. Flyleaf being the biggest surprise to me when I actually listened to the lyrics... I was like... uh... wait a second lol So really it's more so about whatever they've experienced affecting them and how they produce it through their music is what determines it for me. (I wasn't much for the last T.F.K. CD either if I recall).

      Delete
    2. If you listen to Pearl Jam's TEN and then you listen to their album Backspacer, you might question how it could be the same band. Some people get really pissed off when bands change their sound and stop sounding like they did in the beginning. I am always puzzled by that notion. Obviously, the things that are important to us when we are twenty-three are quite different from what's important to us at thirty-seven. It would be impossible for musicians to resist growth and change. And, why would we ask that of them?

      Delete
    3. Trying this from Gmail... while I don't have that whole Google+ change set up... <-- failed! Had to copy/paste Hahaha

      I agree. Maybe that is what we talked about during the Vedder post? Like Korn I like still and they have changed almost every CD. I feel its great and important for an artist to grow and explore and change. Much like you said, things that were important years ago, aren't so much anymore. People (fans) are indeed fickle.

      Delete
  3. Perfect for you all the bands I associate with you. Hearing their songs or coming across their names always prompts my memories of you. That is how it is wired in my brain. Music helps me find my way to memories. Which has been helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it fascinating how music can trigger those memories or even things like phantom aromas. It just sucks when the memories are bad/painful.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of any of these people.... :-/

    ReplyDelete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats