A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Widgets

BEDiM 2013 : DAY 4

(A Blog Every Day in May 2013 Challenge Entry)

I am really going to enjoy the challenge on the docket today!

Today’s prompt:

Day 4, Saturday: Favorite quote (from a person, from a book, etc) and why you love it.

I love me some QUOTES! So this is definitely a prompt I can get behind with few worries. There are so many to choose from, though. You think this would present me with some sort of challenge but...

This was actually an easy pick. Despite having already done a blog post on quotes, I seem to have left out one of my most favorites (and one I use often). So I will share it today. I’m sure a good many of you will remember/recognize it.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.” - Andy Dufresne/Stephen King (The Shawshank Redemption)

This is my one of my all-time favorite movies. It’s one I can watch over and over again. If it would happen to be on TV while flipping channels (if I had a TV I could watch on), I’d stop and watch it, regardless of whatever part of the movie is on. I love it!

If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it. It’s an adaptation (by Frank Darabont, who rocks and keeps close to written material) of Stephen King’s novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. I also really enjoyed the novella. While some characters (mainly wardens) were blended for sake of the movie, and some actor choices for characters that didn’t seem to match story descriptions (this is always an issue with movie adaptations, though), the movie stayed relatively close to the story.

I love the quote itself, because I feel it’s just simply fitting for life. Period. I’ve repeated this quote many times over the years, randomly like most things I do. Sometimes, though, I actually contemplate it. Get busy living or get busy dying. It really is as simple a choice as that. The reason it’s profound for me, and sticks with me all this time (aside from loving the novella/movie) is that I feel I keep making the wrong choice. Or at least the option I want to avoid: get busy dying.

I feel like I’ve not really done all I could to really live and feel I am missing out on many of the experiences life has to offer. Traveling for one, learning random knowledge, just exploring the world (and all the things) in general. I kind of shack up in my own little bubble. Like the inmates of The Shawshank Redemption, I feel institutionalized (my original A to Z “I” topic). That I wouldn’t survive out there in the real world. so I remain in my own little prison cell.

I get out a lot more, mind you, but definitely still feel confined/restrained. It feels like I’m waiting for that burst within. Something that will break open the door that is already bulging in its frame, allowing me to fully embrace the world and anything/everything in it. I feel so close at times, but then I just push it away and rationalize that I am safer this way. No way of getting “hurt” in my bubble!

So sometimes the above statement/quote really gets to me. Slowly it tries to get under my skin where it hopes to make its way into my veins and bones, overtake my body completely, and spring me into action. Let’s hope it succeeds at some point, before it is too late.

15 comments:

  1. ~Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    Margaret Mead US anthropologist & popularizer of anthropology (1901 - 1978)~

    Because it's true....everything that is, became because someone was strong enough to believe in themselves and were brave enough to seek out the like minded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I've actually heard that quote before! I agree it is true, but a lot of times — all depending — those people seem to die faster than others lol Just kidding... sort of.

      Delete
  2. That's a great quote. I didn't remember it, but loved both the novella and the movie. I love things that make me think about what I'm doing, shaking up my status quo. It's too easy to get comfortable and not make changes. There's this song by Carolyn Arends called Seize the Day. It's a little old, but I still love to listen to it, because the message is so profound and encouraging.

    And it's never too late, Jak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kianwi, but how in the world could you not remember that quote! OMN! I love it :) Glad you are a fan of both the novella and movie. I wanted to mark "Red" (Morgan Freeman's character in the movie), because his voice is always the one I hear in my head and who I think of when I recite it. Technically he is quoting "Andy", though, so had to got with that.

      I will try to check out that song. I've never heard of it, but am always open to listening to something new!

      Thanks! Time will tell!

      Delete
  3. i haven'tseen shawshank redemption...i am sorry.

    the quote is good tho and I will try to remember that one, but sadly my memory is like a blackhol sucks all the information up and never gives it up after...
    I think it is also important to live a life you wouldn't regret when you imagine yourself lying on your deathbed and thinking back...ya know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Le gasp* Jette?! Say it isn't so :( You should totally check it out sometime when having some free time! It is a great movie :)

      My memory is going to hell as well. Seems I forget all these simple easy everyday things. It is annoying.

      I definitely don't want to be regretful while on my deathbed! That would be terrible and I know many people end up in that very situation.

      Delete
  4. That is a great quote and I always enjoy that movie. Last year, hubby & I started going on little weekend trips to see local tourist traps. We were tired of sitting around the house and there are so many things to see where I live we thought it a waste not to visit them. It's something we're planning on continuing to do and go farther to see things we want to see. We want to experience life and you can't always do that sitting home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great plan. To start in areas around where you live and then branch out. Cheaper that way too, in the beginning. I'd love to go over seas, but it usually costs a good chunk of change. Definitely can't experience too much life while sitting in one place :)

      Delete
  5. I would still like to travel with you, but I am going to start with or without you. I love traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sweet, but yeah, likely some time yet before I begin traveling anywhere of some distance.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic quote choice! That is my most favorite movie ever. I had no idea is was based on something King wrote. Of course, I didn't know it was shot in the town down the road from where I grew up, either, until my husband just now told me.
    I do hope you get busy living very soon. There is so much to see and do and experience. Don't think about it. Just go. Some of our favorite trips are ones in which we simply got in the car and started driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is awesome! I never knew where it was filmed. It's such a great movie!

      Sounds like you had some fun road trips! Impromptu traveling like that would be quite the experience as much as planned vacations. Though, the odds increase 50-fold that I'd get lost :)

      Delete
    2. The beauty of not having a destination is you can't get lost. You just drive until you find something interesting. :)

      Delete
  7. When I did my M post for movie quotes back during the A-Z challenge I think is when I talked about movies I still enjoyed even after reading & loving the book. I said most all movies made from King books were awful but this would definitely be an exception. Can't believe I forgot this one! Great quote for the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I believe I would have mentioned this and the other Frank Darabont adaptations of King's work (The Green Mile & The Mist). He does a great jobs of remaining true to the written word, which is awesome!

      Delete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats