Just a quick list today. It pretty much all revolves around an incident that occurred earlier in the week.
- I’m thankful for mindful tenants who are quick to call the Fire Dept. when they see smoke coming out from under a neighbor’s door.
- I decided to actually respond to my apartment buzzer, where normally I maybe wouldn’t. Like Wednesday as I was taking a shower. It helps the individual pressed it for prolonged periods of time...
- Fast responding firefighters.
- Getting to the second apartment building just as the firefighters were planning on entering the smoking unit. Had I been just a few moments later they would have kicked in the door. That would have been all sorts of bad. You know... aside from the potential burning down of the entire building and all.
- Being incredibly thankful that the tenant was not in said apartment as everything was going down. Not only for her safety, but the safety of the firefighters entering the unit. I knew she slept with ear plugs, barely gets any sleep, and is ex military/police. She’s described having momentary flash backs and I can only imagine what waking up in a smoked filled room with strangers in masks coming for you may trigger.
- Extremely thankful that nothing had caught on fire (food was left cooking in the oven), and that airing out of the unit and building was all that was necessary to remedy the situation.
- On a lighter note: being invited out to a BBQ on the 4th! It was a blast and there was some great food and laughs. BBQs are definitely rampant. The fireworks may not have been 25 feet as advertised, but they were fun nonetheless. Though, I wish one of the hosts had been “metal” enough to jump some of them as they were going off.
- The wonderful lunch... dinner... (linner?) I was treated to. It was delicious and at one of my favorite restaurants.
- For friends showing me the ropes on public transportation. They didn’t mind my anxiety and did their best to explain how the system worked. I may not ride solo for some time, but it was a start right?
- The invite to celebrate a friend’s birthday! It was extremely short notice, but it ended up working out great. Tried out a new bar (after said bus ride) and then shifted the hanging out to one of the couple's house. We may not have gotten around to playing King's Cup, but there's always next time!
So the gist of this week is: I'm thankful one of my building's didn't burn down and that no one was harmed, and spending time with friends to make up for the stress the first event may have caused!