A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Widgets

XX | 10 THINGS OF THANKFUL | XX


The 25th TToT is fast approaching. Sure it’s a month out. Sure it lands during NaNoWriMo in November. Sure I will be bogged down by that, holidays, and family engagements, but I am curious what the host (and co-hosts) have brewing for that milestone and if they haven’t thought it over, they better start now!

Muahahahaha!

This weekend should be a slow one, so I’m hoping to be able to actually participate in the hop. Not that past “lazy” weekends have been busy, but I’ve been preoccupied. And honestly, it’s been a struggle to just write a post. This means November will either be really encouraging and prove rejuvenating for my writing, or it will be incredibly disheartening and frustrating. I can’t wait to find out…

Sarcasm aside — as best I can — let’s start being more Thankful for the past week, shall we? It’s 6am and I’m still awake, so if I don’t write this up now I may not wake up before the entire weekend blog hop ends.

And that would be Bad News Bears.

  1. Kate found an organization hosting free training/classes associated with the arts (or that seems to be the main focus). They are available at a local county library, two days a week, and we attended our first last Saturday. That session was focused on copywriting, patents, and contracts. Can’t say I fully understand the copywriting bit, but I know a lot more than I had. My concerns were focused on using pictures, creating Memes, fiction, etc and featuring them on the blog.
  2. I’m glad we remembered to get signed up for tomorrow’s (today’s) class about financing, but unfortunately I believe we are canceling. I don’t think I’d wake up in time this morning, and she has a wedding to attend.
  3. I’m Thankful that work hasn’t been as stressful this week. I’d imagine through late Fall and Winter there will be the usual lull in move-ins/move-outs. .
  4. Whew, almost passed out there… I’m glad I’ll be getting this post in earlier than I have in months! If I can stay awake, that is…
  5. I started playing a new digital card game (Solforge) on Steam last week. It’s simplistic and pretty fun. It’s currently in the Beta stage — where it will remain for some time — and free to play. It will always be F2P, but there are the standard-issue microtransactions available if wanting.
  6. My brother joining in and playing the Beta with me. He probably likes it more than I do and has already spent money on microtransactions. Considering you can get every card in the game for free via daily awards, I don’t see the appeal (though, I never do) of dumping real money into it.
  7. Well, fuck me. I made it to number seven before passing out. Granted, I was lured into bed finally at 8:30am. I am Thankful I actually woke up before the weekend ended to continue my list, and attempt to participate in the blog hop!
  8. My Magic: The Gathering collection. Every once in a while I break out my collection and sift through it. I go in phases of actually playing the game and right now it’s at a very low-level priority. That doesn’t stop me from constantly looking up new cards/sets, prices, and information on rule changes/card bannings. It’s a hobby and a passion. Someday I will get on that Magic blog I’ve had sitting there for ages...
  9. My mad organization OCD skills. I’ve been going through my collection and separating cards by set/color/alphabetical order and then placed in boxes according to timeframe (ei: newest sets in front of older sets). My hope is to finally go through and remove a large portion of bulk and sell it off. I’ve been planning to buy/sell magic for close to 10 years, but you know… it’s me. I apparently mastered the art of Slowplay before I even knew what it was! I love organizing my collection so much that my brother even played me a youtube video last night featuring a skit with a character (who also loved doing the same) he felt represented me. I think I will share a video of another skit, with a character portraying my Slowplay skills (3:05 mark). I wouldn’t mind drinking and playing/reviewing board/card/video games. Just don’t rely on these two to accurately teach you how the game is played:
  10. NaNoWriMo. I’m getting increasingly psyched, while simultaneously becoming increasingly scared shitless, about this November. Not having a car will make write-ins a bit more difficult, which sucks in terms of meeting new people. I made quite a few new friends last year and an encore of that would be great. However, I’m more afraid of being able to write 50k words. I’ve barely been able to squeeze out a blog and my Trailer Tuesday blurbs have become a struggle. My hope is that, in the end, NaNoWriMo will kick off a string of blog entries I’ve skipped and create a surge in my fiction writing (which I’ve not done since about March). Time will tell...

Feel free to leave your Thankful List in the comments below, if you aren’t participating directly with the blog hop!

31 comments:

  1. Not bad for a man who's having difficulty with wakefulness and writing. Good luck in November... I have yet to do one of those as I too am sh****** scared! You have some guts! Maybe next time, maybe never... just not ready yet. Im sure its tough to write (read your post a few wks back) but glad to see you here still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's odd... my contradictory bouts of wakefulness and fatigue... It literally drives me mad, and I may just end up in a ward sooner than later.

      Don't fear using vulgarity, as you can tell I kind of do so freely. Unless it's a personal choice, then I respect that.

      Nov should prove interesting!

      Delete
  2. lol

    (still chuckling over #7)... hey dude, Mentioned you in one of my comments...nothing bad... gotta run for now (going to Wakefield to do the Wakefield Doctrine Saturday Night Call-in) will catch back up later when I get back in....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried so hard to stay awake, and than I became distracted. Then lured into bed when I eventually just passed out. I totally could have had this up hours before doing so! So close.

      Delete
  3. I hope NaNoWriMo goes really well for you. And CRAP! Gotta start thinking about that 25th! Really? Only a MONTH? Yowwwwww! Um.

    Glad you're having such fun with MTG and other games :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You already know my suggestion!

      Well, not playing MTG much, but definitely enjoying organizing my collection :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes. Nakedness and cake, wasn't it? Still not *quite* convinced that your suggestion is quite the way to go, though I daresay there would be a lot of er, new viewers that week, who would be perfectly happy with the idea. We may even become internet stars. But I'm not sure that's how I want it to happen.

      Let me know if you ever want a still-wrapped shiny slither deck. I have one going begging. Doubt it'll ever get used.

      Delete
    3. naked cake!!! naked cake!! naked cake!!!

      (I think you can put me down as support for Jaks 'vision' of a proper celebration)

      Delete
    4. Er you know that YOU would need to be part of the naked cake thing? He was suggesting ALL the co-hosts...and guess what, Y-chrome? That means you, too.

      I'll give you a coupla miliseconds to retract your support...

      Delete
    5. Yeah... naked cake sounds about right haha. Imagine all the new "view" and "follower" numbers, though...

      I would love the deck, but as it is am a broke duck (am I ever not?). I may be attempting to sell bulk, but I'm a collector at heart, so I welcome all Magic! Someday I will get back to collecting collections again :) I've recently found I like misprints/miscuts a lot. Odd I suppose.

      Delete
    6. Wait, naked cake or naked hosts with cake? I vote that Clark goes first, then we'll all follow (wink wink).

      Delete
    7. Jak - the wonky ones are the most fun, right?

      Dyanne - I think Jak DEFINITELY had naked hosts WITH cake, in mind. And I also vote that Clark goes first with that one...I shall be in hiding, if anyone wants me.

      Delete
    8. Definitely naked hosts... and people can vote themselves in to replace someone wanting out (only a co-host, though, as Host is dedicated to the cause 100%). So, I'm thinking Kate can will step in for Clark, no?

      Also: The wonky ones ARE the best! I want ALL the wonky!

      Delete
  4. Jak, now you've gone and done it. Had to tell Lizzi you were expecting something big for the 25th? She comes up with random assignments on her own, we don't need you egging her on! ;)

    Those free classes you are taking at the library sound interesting. I hope you both find some useful info through them.

    Just wanted to let you know, I just love your button. That starburst and color really grab my attention, and of course, the squirrel grabbing for the nut just screams you. You did a good job when you made it.

    Good luck with the November challenge. Any headway on getting a working vehicle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaknow, if I think about that hard enough for a really long time, I could take it as a compliment...

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking you will be just... thrilled... no... undone with excitement... stripped down of any restrictive clothi... roadblocks you may encounter when it comes to my 25th celebration idea >.>

      The classes offer just enough info and then supply you with resources for further help if wanting/need be. It's pretty cool.

      My site has begun displaying "stripped" (heh... seriously, though) versions of my images. Not sure if it's universal or only I see it. But badges and pics I post now have a less edited quality. It's odd and I'm not sure what that would be. I'm a bit shocked the TToT image came out crisp this time (last few haven't) and maybe it has something with using the "use imagine from this site" option when I usually upload it every time. I don't know. Makes me sad :(

      Thanks! I will need all the luck I can get. No to the vehicle business...

      Delete
    3. No need to think for long!
      It was totally a compliment. You are very creative, Ma'am. :) Really, you do come up with fun things for us to do. Jak, however, does not. No naked cake! No naked cake!

      Delete
    4. ;)

      I shall try to come up with something FAR less terrifying than naked cake.

      And if anyone ever ends up at a TToT having used the search term 'Naked Cake', I shall be horrified and in fits of giggles all at once. What have we started here?! Good grief!

      I shall be seeking co-host input very soon on this.

      Delete
    5. Look at that, Christine, your inability to accept my awesome has put yourself to work ;-) In the end, there shall be Naked Cake!

      Delete
  5. The classes in your library sound awesome! The lady from the bakery in Seattle should go there.. My friend went with a picture her husband drew (Manga) and wanted it on a cake. The lady there refused, claiming she didn't know if there was any copyright on that picture..

    You will do well during NaNoWriMo, and please, please share your writing!!

    Have a great new week, Jak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sucks about the cake :( Considering it's her husband's I wouldn't imagine there being an issue. There was ton of stuff similar to that, though, where contracts were needed jut to protect both parties. Whenever money is involved especially.

      Thanks for your vote of confidence, Stephanie. I wish I shared your optimism!

      Have a great week too :-)

      Delete
  6. My husband taught copyright law at one time, so if you have questions, just ask me and I'll ask him. I used to work with music copyright stuff, but my brain got too full of other stuff, like lines from Young Frankenstein and the recipe for chocolate cherry cake, and deleted most of the copyright stuff.

    I hope work isn't crazy busy for you for the next few months. I wouldn't want to have to think about moving during the holiday season, and I imagine most people wouldn't, either.

    When you get done organizing all your game stuff, come over and start on my pictures. They're a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome to know, and I may — at some point — need to ask a thing or five. I've been curious about my fiction posted on my fiction blog, but beyond that it's mainly been curiosities concerning pictures used.

      Work should be pretty mellow... except for the fact I get to shovel all the snow! I need a new shovel ASAP.

      Book the flight and arrange a pick-up and I'll be on my way ;-)

      Delete
    2. Remember "life of the author +70 years".

      Delete
    3. Hahaha for a moment I thought you were talking in code, because I want to write... Then I recall that was how long the copyright lasts after death of creator/author. They definitely went over that and some case involving Disney and some other major ones over recent years.

      Delete
    4. There's a famous copyright story about "It's A Wonderful Life" as well.

      Delete
  7. Ooh I have such magical powers to lure you to bed...

    You will do great in Nanowrimo. You have a few more days to convince me yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have Magic then you should play Magic!

      I'm not much in the business of trying to convince people to do things they aren't comfortable doing.

      Naked Cake isn't included because secretly about 70% of the hosts want to do it, so it's a Majority Rule sort of thing...

      Delete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats