A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Widgets

A to Z 2014 : INCOGNITO

(An A to Z 2014 Challenge Entry)

In my opening A to Z post this year, ABSENCE, I spoke about my hiatus from the Blogosphere. As I’m prone to repeat myself, I also mentioned it in yesterday’s entry, HESITATION MARKS, as well.

I had a clear plan for my grand exit from blogging. A post I had been waiting to get out for months. One that had morphed so many times that it may be hard for me to recollect it’s originally intended content. It fluxed from silly, to emotional, back to silly, and then to emotionally supercharged.

No worries, it’s still a work in progress. Possibly still pertaining to leaving in some fashion. Oh, I know, all this cryptic pussyfooting is so dramatic. I can hardly contain myself...

When I decided to do the A to Z Challenge this year, I had the distinct intention of participating elsewhere. Somewhere completely unassociated with The Cryton Chronicles. I wanted to do it anonymously, distanced from those I had previously met while blogging. A solo act.

Be incognito.

I can’t fully explain why. It’s not like I have anything but love and joy for those I’ve known over the past year of blogging. I think I felt I would be able to focus more on writing for myself. It’s a known conflict I endure on a daily basis. It was the belief I wouldn’t be as overwhelmed with very little traffic and blog hopping to manage.

It sounds incredibly selfish, and I guess it is, but I honestly felt it may be necessary.

I’m glad I never went through with it, though. At least for the challenge. I made a compromise, however, that I wouldn’t share or post my blog entries on any social media. If others do it for me, that’s fine, but it’s something I decided not to engage in. Much to my surprise, Blogger is helping me by not notifying people who subscribe to get notifications (via email) until well over 15 hours after a posting. Even for posts scheduled for 2am, notifications aren’t sent out until past 9pm. So kudos to them, I guess, for somehow knowing my secret plan and assisting.

I feel like I’m still flying under the radar. Maybe not completely incognito, but nowhere near as prominent as I could attempt to be. People may catch a glimpse or three, but then I dash off into the shadows...

I’m going to end this before it starts to get creepy.

Have you ever desired to be Incognito? Left to your own devices to focus on yourself?

10 comments:

  1. I've been blogging since 2005. Since then I have started and deleted close to 10 blogs. So I understand a bit of that feeling of needing to let blogging go for a while to focus on your own stuff. Julia Cameron stated it best in "Letters to a Young Artist"-- we have to save the good for our own art. Good energy and good ideas. I realized a while back I was allowing blogging to take some of my good, and now my blog is a lot less poetic than it once was, but that's because the poetry is in my creative work instead.

    I also understand the need to be incognito. Hence my pen name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry this has been so backlogged. Wow 2005 is a damn long time! And 10 blogs?! Have you troubles with commitment? ;-) Did you focus on new themes each time you came back to the Blogosphere?

      I believe that balance is important, and the focusing on yourself. I wish I could say I focused on the writing I wanted to during my hiatus... but... you know...

      When stating creative work, do you mean possibly in a WiP publishing sense?

      Pen name? Who does that?! >.> Who? <.< *cough* I'm so bad that I have a pen name for my pen name!

      Delete
  2. I have absolutely wanted to be incognito with regards to my writing. I'm not. But, I've thought about it. I think it stems from wanting to truly be able to fully express myself with out the fear of being judged by those close to me and/or people who think they know me.

    I am not sure why I am so afraid to just be open. Oh wait, yes I am. Even my Facebook posts are ridiculed when certain people feel they are in some way, "weird." So, now I filter who specifically can see my posts. I guess I don't really want to have to censor myself, in daily life or my creative writing. And for some reason, I still haven't realized that it shouldn't be that way. It stifles my art.

    Maybe you feel something similar. Although, you've already got a leg up on the incognito thing. Even those of us who have been following for a while don't know your actual name. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I recall discussing this some in the past. Or a topic along these lines of using your name over a pen name (quite possibly in my "J" post last year even). I think it's that with anonymity offered, used for the forces of good (rather than trolling and being an asshole), we find it's beneficial to release you from those fears. Then again, I still hold back, because a handful of people in my day to day know who I am heh.

      Ahhhh FB, fun times. I just saw some discussion on this very topic. It sounds like many people are going that route. Blocking/filtering who sees what. That seems way way too complicated for me to bother with.

      I agree with it [censoring yourself] stifling your art. We are definitely on the same page there.

      When my father read my After Armageddon pieces we had a long debate about my use of vulgarity (and, to a lesser extent, the religious undertones involved). I won't bend on that aspect, though, even if it means a lesser "demograph" will be reached (this statement makes me laugh, as if I'm even 1/200th of the way to being published ever lol). I find it really easy to avoid censoring myself in fiction, but not so much with blogging.

      Aha! I am perhaps a man of mystery and intrigue! lol >.<

      Delete
  3. I have heard rumors and stories about your disappearance acts. I am proud of you for not going incognito too much. But in reality, Like Jessica Stank says, you always do live a life partially incognito. You tend to be a man of mystery, so these feelings seem fitting from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been getting closer and closer to the real deal in all it's full glory, but it seems for now I'm still around for a bit...

      I'm a very self-protective entity. I don't enjoy the thought of enacting naked hip thrusts in the middle of the superbowl's half-time show!

      Delete
  4. You did the brave thing by stepping out of the shadows. I mean, it's dark over there. And while they say the dark side has cookies, they really mean cake. And the cake is a lie. Thought you'd like to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravery or Foolishness... there is a fine line... One thing is true, though: The Cake is a Lie. Always.

      Delete
  5. I've thought about having an incognito blog, where I am free to say anything, no matter how controversial or maybe even shocking. But then I'm afraid I would blab to someone about it, wanting feedback, and the cat would be out of the bag. Staying cognito for now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that is about how it would likely go for me too. I mean... I want to write for myself, but at the same time have people read. It's a Catch .22 really. I think having a hidden blog would help in that eventually I think they would start to blend and bleed together and you will likely find a solid middle-ground overall, which will encompass your writing thereafter.

      Or... maybe not?

      Delete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats