A to Z 2014 Banner

A to Z 2014 Banner

Friday, April 18, 2014

Widgets

A to Z 2014 : PRODUCT PLACEMENT

(An A to Z 2014 Challenge Entry)

Earlier this evening I was visiting a blogger’s page I ran across during this A to Z Challenge. The name of the blog is A Bowl of Moonlight (awesome, right?!). Raquel has been writing, and drawing, all of her entries by hand. You should check her [blog] out! Now and again she references some prompts, and today’s mentioned one from The Right to Write, by Julia Cameron. There has also been mention of The Artist’s Way, which is technically the true credit for what opened me back up to writing after my block.

When she mentioned The Right to Write, I couldn’t help but feel like I had heard of it from somewhere before. It was so familiar and it kept bugging me. So, then I decided to check on something…

Some books, some anime, some movies, some randomness...

Yep! There it was, right in front, where it’s had to have been for over a year now! I’m embarrassed to say that I wasn’t even aware that it was the same author as The Artist’s Way (which you can see tucked behind it) until just today. I mean, I may have when I bought the book, in fact I’m betting I did, but had since forgotten.

I still need to read all of The Artist’s Way, but from what I read I would definitely recommend it. Especially if you find yourself dealing with creative blocks. Once I finish that up, I can start into The Right to Write. I’m appreciative that I found Raquel’s blog and had this reconnection with these books.

As a bonus the whole scenario offered up a topic for today’s post!*

*Which was almost puke, since in the middle of writing this I almost literally projectile vomited all over the place, completely out of the blue as I was talking. I haven’t thrown up in I don’t even know how long. Gross…

Have you ever read Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way or The Right to Write? If so, did you ever participate in the workshops for The Artist’s Way? This was something I’ve yet to do. Do you have any alternate recommendations for books that have helped you through creative blocks? Have you ever suddenly felt like you were going to throw up ot of the blue? Gross!

10 comments:

  1. *I can attest to the near puking incident. It was a close call.

    I love that you talked about these books since I spend a great deal looking at these books every day, always wondering if I should pick up and read them. Perhaps I just needed this post to push me to pursue it. (Do you like that I replied with a lot of P's?)

    Kate at Daily discovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... too close... so frickin' gross.

      I think these books would be perfect for you! I'm not kidding. You should definitely check them out.

      Delete
  2. Yay! You have it!

    I need to get it myself. I just borrowed it from the library here.

    Thanks for the compliments on my theme.

    I think I mentioned before, but I did the AW as a full program in a group last fall. It helped me to complete a novel (first draft) in only 4 months as well as loads and loads of paintings. The first time I started doing it was when I was 18-19. But I stopped at, like, day 3. I think I just wasn't ready for it. It's a deep and scary journey, to heal these creative blocks, and it's not for the faint of heart. I think I'll do it again either this summer or fall again.

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! It was irking me why it sounded so familiar. It's even more embarrassing it's been sitting in the front on the bookshelf for ages, but what can you do?!

      No need for thanks :-) I think it's a great theme.

      You actually did mention in comments you eventually went through the entire course. I don't think you brought up the first draft of a book in four months, though, or paintings. I may be wrong. That is awesome! I feared I would do the same. Not be able to actually fully dedicate my time to it, which sounds weird being it's something I want to do for a living. Why wouldn't I just do it? I don't know. It just seemed (seems) pretty intense.

      If you do it again let me know!

      Oh, I felt better right away... I have no idea wtf was going on lol

      Delete
  3. I haven't read either of those. In fact I think the only writing help books I've read is Save the Cat and Bird by Bird. Just don't give the bird to the cat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read either of those, but have heard of "Bird by Bird", which was recommended to me. Never got around to borrowing it, though. As mentioned, I haven't read all of "The Artist's Way", but from what I did I recommend it if having creative blocks. I'm not sure that you are. I've noted you are underway on multiple WiPs!

      Beyond that, however, I have read a good handful of books on writing and publishing. "On Writing" by Stephen King being a fav.

      Delete
  4. So cool , I love the other Cameron book so will check this out and the blogger you recommended
    #AtoZchallenge ☮Peace ☮ ღ ONE ℒℴνℯ ღ ☼ Light ☼ visiting from http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sweet, if you do let me know what you think (both book and blogger)! Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope to try to visit some familiar and new visitors this weekend yet and play catch up :-)

      Delete
  5. You're like Dorothy and the ruby slippers: you've had the power all along, but wouldn't have believed anyone that told you until you discovered it yourself. Read the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! But will they bring me home then? I don't know if I'm ready to go home yet...

      Delete

Oh My Nuts! Leave a message already, would ya?!

Jak Stats